Tuesday, 31 July 2012

RF

I'm in the process of preparing for a big commission, in other words, pointlessly sketching and procrastinating. The subject is Wimbledon again, back inside Centre Court but with a 2012 final theme. I've got to include Roger Federer serving in the foreground. This presents me with a challenge when it comes to perspective and the angle for the viewpoint. It also gives me another problem: I don't usually paint people.

This style doesn't lend itself to people particularly well, therefore I've decided that my best bet will be to focus less on painting a perfect portrait of Ol' Fed' and more on his recognisable traits. For example, I'm going to concentrate on his famous headband and luscious locks, while working with his relatively unique serving style. 

This is a really quick study of the man himself. He has no mouth but I still think it resembles Federer who, incidentally, has a mouth.

I'm just thankful they didn't ask for the player in the foreground to be Andy Murray. All I'd have to work with would be heavily strapped ankles and that birthmark on his leg.






No comments:

Post a Comment